Monday, February 1, 2010

New York, I Love You: Review

OMG OMG OMG OMG. I wanna go New York! I wanna go New York! I wanna go New York!
 
Okay so I'm sure not many of ya'll has heard of this series before. It's called the Cities of Love series. Each movie features 10 short films about love and is set in a world famous city. The series began with Paris, Je Taime which I loved. And now the love story has come to the greatest city in the world, New York.
 
New York, I Love You is a collaborative work of the industry's best directors, writers and actors banding together to make 10 short films of love and romance all taking place within the 5 boroughs of New York. The story weaves a tale of love as diverse as the very fabric of New York City.
Now this movie is an independent film so it's really going to be hard to find but my God I tell you will it be worth it when you do. Every short film portrays the beauty of New York City set inside a very cool short love film on it's own. It's funny. It's artistic. It's incredibly random. It's the very essence of New York.
 
And this film has a very impressive ensemble cast for a indie film. We got Natalie Portman, Julie Christie, Shia LaBeouf, Shu Qi, Ethan Hawke, Maggie Q, Orlando Bloom, Christina Ricci, hayden Christensen, Rachel Bilson, Andy Garcia, Bradley Cooper, Blake Lively, Olivia Thirlby, Anton Yelchin, Eli Wallach, Irfan Khan, James Caanand Drea De Matteo.
 
I love how all the actors were used. Each character has incredible amounts of depth and development in the short screen time their on. And the whole film is brilliantly written in a way that each character intertwines and effects the stories of another character in a different segment of the film. It depicts New Yorkers and how everyone is connected beautifully.
But there were some segments I didn't like. One being Shai LaBeouf's short film. There wasn't anything bad about it, it's just that the other 9 films were done as witty romantic comedies and all of a sudden we get one film in the middle of the story that's an incredibly depressing art film.
 
New York, I Love You is just one of those indie films that will never get much recognition and will stay completely unknown to mainstream moviegoers. It's a hidden gem that only true film lovers will appreciate. Hopefully this review will get some of ya'll interested to check it out.

RATING: 7/10

4 comments:

wenny0517 said...

Tsk, you're fast. I just want to double-click on it and you'd already posted a review. haha. Will come back to tell my thought after watching it!

Nicholas C said...

Yay!! Hahahah yes watch watch. My fave short was the last one. Soooo cute!!

wenny0517 said...

First, let me quote you, "OMG OMG OMG OMG. I wanna go New York! I wanna go New York! I wanna go New York!"
I really wish I will have the chance to visit that city one day!!

I pretty much enjoyed the movie..But, same like you..not so much with the one starring Shia LaBeouf..At first, I thought that will be about the love story between the singer and the manager..Dang, I was quite surprise with what happened in the end..

The one I love most is the old couple one!! Oh my god, they are so sweet and cute! Love their banters..Espcially when they're going up the stairs..haha..I love them even more when the wife mentioned about CSI [die hard CSI fans here!]..Anyway, the scene at the seaside is so touching..awww..

And the one a guy is trying to get Maggie Q to have sex with him..that one made me LOL-ed..Oh boy, he can't be more blunt..I mean, come on, if you really want to get laid, that's not the way you should talk to a woman..and that's why he didn't get any...xD

Nicholas C said...

Yeah hahahaha and the old guy was Tuco in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly hahahaha!

And yeah that's Ethan Hawke hitting on Maggie Q. Especially like when he goes ".......... well fuuuck me."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails